BnC Bakery


Bakery: BnC Bakery
Address: 12-257 Dundas St., Mississauga, ON
Website: http://bncbakery.com/
Style: Korean
Price: $$

I must say I've always had a soft spot for Korean bakeries, especially since they really make tasty baked goods and other sweets that are a pretty delicious mix of Asian and European styles. Does that make any sense to you? Probably not. Well, Koreans really try to make their goods more "Western", and though you may not recognize the original recipe it's based on, the odds are it'll still be good. :P BnC, pretty much the only Korean bakery in the city, falls right into this description. Their stuff is delicious and you can choose from oodles of sweet buns and cookies with various fillings from the more authentic red bean or green tea to strawberry or chocolate creams. The only real minus is that their more European baked goods are also quite creamy.

I actually read somewhere online that someone thinks this place also makes the best Opera torte. Of the little I have had here, I did try their Opera torte once, although you can't really call it that. With its alternating layers of vanilla and chocolate cake dough interlaid with whipped cream and topped with a dusting of cocoa and whole coffee beans, this is pretty un-authentic. But it's good.

The highlight of this place, though, is their cakes. At around $28 for, I believe, a 10' cake, it's not the cheapest, but it's easily the best cake in the city. With matcha green tea in both the cream and the dough (and with a hearty dusting on top), this is not only absolutely delicious.

EDIT: I was downright stunned at the *** rating I gave this place and had to return and upgrade it after yesterday. Someone had no idea where to buy a good cake for a work party in Mississauga and I suggested BnC. They weren't sure everyone would enjoy the green tea above, but went with the strawberry. That's not important though. As a thank you, they bought me the most amazing baked good ($2) I've had in a while! No, I didn't think of taking a picture because I never thought it would blow my mind the way it did: a flaky, fluffy doughnut cut in half and filled inside with orange milk cream -- reminiscent of soft serve ice cream -- and topped with icing and shredded orange peel. OMG! I'm still reeling from this ingenious creation... this was insanely good. I have no idea how I'm going to drive by this place now and not run in and get one!!! O.O -- EDIT 2.0 After that one time, I have never seen this stuffed crueller again and I've been going to BnC on a semi-regular basis. What happened?!?

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment