Baklawa King

Bakery: Baklawa King
Address: 1590 Dundas St E, Mississauga ON
Website: http://www.baklawaking.com
Style: Middle Eastern
Price: $$$

Baklawa King is probably the only Middle-Eastern bakery I'm aware of in Mississauga and would be more than happy to know if there are more, so if you know of any... ^^

Anyways, Baklawa King, where, as the brother put it once I asked him to give his opinion, "baklava is king", is a Lebanese-owned (I believe; my brother told me and I'm not sure where he got this from) pastry shop with... baklava (duh!) and a couple dozen of other bite-size, philo-dough pastries all smothered in honey, flavoured with rose- and orange-water and stuffed with nuts.

Everything is sold by weight ($25/kg) and it can get quite expensive, especially given the teeny-tiny, one-bite size of the pastries (although it terms of ingredients and most likely time to make everything, you certainly get what you pay for). For 8 items (that is, the whole plate plus one more honey twist-ee), we paid over $6, to give you a rough estimate. Despite wanting to try a little bit of everything, the self-proclaimed baklava addict above got mad that my mom (wasn't there myself, so I have to trust her discretion this time ^^) didn't just buy everything baklava. Instead, we got a few squares... no, wait, maybe it's better to just to describe them in order: (clockwise from top left) a honey twistee (pretty much a rolled piece of dough drenched in honey), baklava, nut square, another twist, date square, apple?? square (or some sort of fruit, can't remember now) and a pistachio square.

Both brothers agreed (they split it) that the baklava was not only the best from the selections, but the best they've ever eaten: moist and nutty. Second place was the nut square which was just packed with different types of nuts. My favourite (I got the date square, honey twist and a bit of the apple? square) was the honey twist, which really was super moist and plain yummy! The date square wasn't really anything special and reminded me of mammoul (pardon the spelling XD) cookies. The apple (or whatever it was...) was a little too fragrant and perfumed (orange-water) for me.

In the end, come for the baklava and you will be amazed. .. And the goods really do end up living up to the name! ;D

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment