Truscott Italian Bakery & Deli

Bakery: Truscott Italian Bakery & Deli
Address: 2425 Truscott Dr, Mississauga ON
Website: n/a
Style: Italian, North American
Price: $$$

This is another bakery I've been meaning to review for awhile, and have been hoping for more goods, but yeah... that'll come later.

Truscott is a bakery, which is not only more deli than anything else, but should be more accurately named "Bakery and Italian deli" since their imported products, cold cuts and antipasti qualify as Italian, whereas I can't say the same of the baked goods.

Months ago, the brother was driving by and proposed to stop and ended up with the item pictured, saying that there wasn't really anything to chose from. It being late Saturday afternoon, I wasn't surprised. So, a few weeks before my vacation, I went myself... and came empty-handed, which very rarely happens and which, naturally, is not a good sign. The thing my brother got wasn't anywhere to be seen; it was around 2pm and there were a few empty baking sheets, and two or three leftover items that didn't appeal to me, mainly because nothing was Italian. I remembered there was a fruit-and-cheese danish which was the exact thing sold at Longo's... I'm not sure whether they get it from the same supplier or Truscott bakes for Longo's, but it got me disappointed and confused. There were two chocolate chip muffins and that was it for the individual sweets section.

Besides this, they have a few larger items (pound cakes and, if I'm not confused, pies and one or two cakes in the otherwise empty case), although, for a neighbourhood bakery (and not some fancy coffee shop/cafe/etc), I found the prices quite high. At around $2, the muffins were the most affordable sweets purchase. The bakery also had a few racks of reduced as well as prepacked goods like pound cakes and one other thing; in either case, I found this fairly expensive given what it was, especially the day-old stuff. I recall two women were there at the same time I was, hunting through the sweets and day-old goods, contemplating one item and then another... and also left with nothing.

So, the purchase the brother did get were these giant, glazed doughnut-like cinnamon buns, which.. again, weren't Italian at all, but hey! they were quite good. Actually, in a doughnut-sense, they were really good, although I've had much better cinnamon buns (it's a very daunting task to try and beat Swedish ones, after all). ;)

Still, I was actually hoping that coming on a weekday afternoon would mean better variety and a chance to try something new. Judging from their larger selection of breads, this is a bakery better known for its breads. The weird thing is that just from googling the place to get the address, I found reviews of people loving the pastries and then people who aren't pleased *at all*, so I don't know, do these pastries disappear by 10am or something? Do people camp out at opening? Is the place going downhill (because it happens too often to even mention it nowadays..)? Or they didn't bake anything on the day I happened to be there? O_o I'm very confused. I'd be willing to go on a return trip, but not sure if it's worth the drive to come back with nothing...

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment