Mamie Clafoutis

Bakery: Mamie Clafoutis
Address: 3660 rue St Denis, Montreal QC
Website: http://www.mamieclafoutis.com
Style: French
Price: $$

Mamie Clafoutis is yet another bakery that I didn't visit, but someone went out and got me something from it. Yay, more to review! ^^ These guys have three locations, one in Montreal, and are a bakery with mostly artisan-style breads and a smaller selection of baked goods and cakes (and, naturally, clafoutis). The baked goods, in particular (I actually specifically told anyone that saw a bakery to look out for the viennoiseries this time around instead of the fancier and more expensive pastries), are mostly French-inspired (chausson aux pommes, croissants, etc. etc.) with a few North American creations like kid-friendly marshmallow squares. Naturally, I was far more interested in the former. ;)

So, first of all, I ended up with this apple danish ($2-something), a sweet yeast dough folded with chunks of soft, almost mushy apples and dotted with strips of sticky sesame. After having all those buttery treats from both Mercier and Premiere Moisson, I found this dough lacking that delicious taste and texture. The dough was denser here and far from moist. The pieces without any apple were actually quite dry and it wasn't really tasty enough to just eat it plain. Not being a fan of sesame, the "bursts" of sesame didn't match for me and they were far too sticky. It wasn't bad, but I think it looked a lot better than it tasted.

Secondly, I got this gigantic 'cookie' (also $2-something) made up of two hard well, cookies and filled with either a homemade or very rustic raspberry jam. I'm not too big a fan of cookies in general, but this was good! The outer edge was maybe a little too doughy, but once you got in the middle with all that raspberry, it was pretty yummy!!

Overall, I can't say Mamie Clafoutis was bad, but in comparison to the other bakeries I tried within those three days, it certainly wasn't the best. Still, it's a good alternative and who knows, maybe their clafoutis are just amazing? ;D For the rest, it was alright, but nothing worthy of knocking my socks off.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment