Clafouti [RIP]

Bakery: Clafouti Patisserie et Cafe 
Address: 915 Queen St W, Toronto ON
Website: n/a 
Style: French
Price: $$ 

Yay! I've got two more Toronto stops for you from this past weekend. :) One was good, the other not so good. Clafouti, fortunately, is the former. This is a teeny tiny French pastry shop across the street from Trinity Bellwoods Park and the last time I was walking along Queen W (which was probably last year or longer -- I'm not here very often .__.;;), there were so many people here that I couldn't even get inside to see what they had. Since then, I've been curious to try this place out. Luckily for me, it was empty now and I could look to my heart's content (now, I'm actually not sure whether there really were so many people or was it just that only that many people can fit inside); a lot was already sold out, but there isn't really that much room for more. There are two glass cases, one with sandwiches and a few baked goods (almond croissants and puff pastry plum cake -- $2.75 each) sitting on top and the other with a series of big and small tarts, either fresh fruit tarts (like blackberry, raspberry, etc.) or clafoutis. At $3.15 for the individual sizes and $16 for the large, they're very reasonably priced (especially compared to Nadege across the street >.>) for French pastries and so I just couldn't help myself. ;)

Assuming that the clafoutis were their specialty (I mean, what else can you think with a name like that? :P), I decided to try one, though I was a little wary at the same time. Ha ha I remember once one of my brothers tried to make one from the Cordon Bleu cookbook and it turned out like scrambled eggs with cherry -- I've been skeptical since then. XD Okay, but that's not the point... I would have taken the wild berry, since that sounded really good, but alas, they were all gone, so I went with another interesting one: raspberry and pomegranate. Amazing shell (the first sign of skill, as always :)) filled with what I guess you could call a custard (that's the easiest way to describe it at any rate) stuffed with tangy pieces of raspberries and pomegranate. I've had a few custard-based tarts where they put one raspberry in it and the rest is just pudding, but this one was just full of fruit and you had a piece with each bite. Mmm, so good! I think the more sour fruits were so perfect with the creamy custard -- yummy!! ... lol, I wouldn't have minded a second one.. or at a slightly larger tart. ^.^;;;

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment