A.F. Home Bakery

Bakery: A.F. Home Bakery 
Address: 5168 Dundas St W, Etobicoke ON 
Website: n/a 
Style: Balkan, Serbian
Price: $-$$ 

[Seeing as my collection of bakeries from Etobicoke has grown quite a bit, I thought it only right to introduce a tag for it (I usually do so at 3+ bakeries in one place), so uh, I hope it'll help those in Etobicoke navigate a little easier! :)]

I don't even know how long I've been waiting to go to this place and give it a try. I actually have quite a few places on my bakery list to go to near Kipling station and this was one that I passed several times while going for lunch and kept putting it off (mainly because you can only access it by car if you're taking the northbound Kipling ramp off of Dundas), but while we were getting frustrated with finding a parking spot, I got my chance! :)

This little bakery is, well, just that: unlike a majority of "European" bakeries, it's not a deli first, but a real bakery with buns, loaves of bread, hot bureks (well, okay, I can't say that's part of 'real bakery' but they've got a bunch of varieties), and, of course, sweets.
They offer up a bit more of a hodgepodge of goodies: with the breads, they have a few standard items like danishes and some cookies. Someone mentioned them having cannoli, though I don't recall seeing it... They had one or two chocolate/cream cakes, baklava and those little honey cakes I've seen at Solero and Pastries&Deli behind the glass, but I was particularly in the mood for some baked goods this time around, so I must say I was more intrigued by the very tasty looking apple strudel in a flaky dough and well, the thing I ended up picking: an apple and walnut danish ($2.29). Upon purchase, I can't say I was overly eager to bite into it. I mean, it didn't look so exciting, just a fluffy dough "pocket" with powdered sugar and a few chunks of walnut on top, but once taking it out at home for photo-making purposes, one thing got me pretty thrilled: I could smell the butter! ^-^;;; And I could taste too! The buttery, soft dough with the mass of finely minced, almost mushy apples, pieces of walnuts and cinnamon.. ooh! these guys managed to take me by surprise!!! Yes: what a great, yummy piece of baking!! ^____^;;;

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment