Wisła Deli [Updated]

Bakery: Wisła Deli
Address: 3615 Dixie Rd, Mississauga ON
Website: n/a
Style: Polish
Price: $-$$

Yay! Another local place to add to the repertoire! Wisła Deli is one of three delicatessens on the Wisła plaza (at Burnhamthorpe and Dixie) and while I believe they don't bake their baked goods (they might bake their breads as the wrapper has their name on it), they still have a bunch of cakes and treats that seem to be available exclusively there.. and well, I wasn't planning to buy anything at all until I chanced upon a unique goody with, you guessed it, poppy seed! :) Besides this, they have a few other baked goods that aren't from the typical commercial bakeries as in a majority of Polish delis: cookies, slab cakes, creamy cakes by the slice, choux pastry creations, meringues, etc. They did have interesting-looking poppy seed buns (i.e. ones that I've never seen before elsewhere) with icing and almond slivers on top, but seeing as the dough was quite unforgiving when being poked with the tongs (okay, it was pretty much hard as a rock), I decided not to risk it. I can't say I was in the mood for stale poppy seed buns for the sake of the Cake Tour. :P

Instead, they had these "świderki" ($1.39), long twists of flaky dough and a traditional Polish poppy seed mass with raisins. This was then glazed and rolled in coconut. I have to admit that from looking at it, I didn't think the coconut matched that well (I'm not the biggest fan of coconut, to be quite honest with you), but after actually tasting it, I must admit the two matched quite well. There wasn't too much and there was more poppy seed than expected.. actually given the state of Polish poppy seed buns in the city *proceeds to shake head in disapproval* the amount was amazing and I think it ended up being more than the dough itself! Whoa. O_O I was impressed: it was both soft and crunchy with that slight hint of coconut and the dough, lol, won't go stale that easily! 

Any time I'm in the Wisła plaza, I'm there to go to Jaswoj, but I think I should pop into here again and try more of their sweets and maybe I'll risk that poppy seed bun after all, since I guess I liked what I saw after all. :P

[NEW!] Okay, so I don't know what happened or it just depends on when you go there, but this place has oh so quickly become Polish poppy seed headquarters. Not only do they have unique cakes and baked goods (that is, not baked from the same places as every other non-bakery deli), they have great Polish poppy seed goodies! Their braided buns ($1.39) are so delicious, with plenty of whole poppy seed rolled into fairly fresh, yeasty dough. And last time I was there, I spotted one large poppy seed roll (on top of the cake cabinet) which was just... wow. Seriously, look at all that poppy seed! It looked a little like traditional makowiec (poppy seed roll), but the dough was the same as the bun with plenty of crumble and orange-flavoured glaze. A little too many raisins for me, but what a beauty!
EDIT: And... where did it all go? The variety of baked goods, including all that poppy seed, recently vanished and Wisła Deli just sells standard deli baked goods: commercial doughnuts and a few extras (though their slab cakes still seem unique). Disappointing.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment