Blue Danube Sausage House

Bakery: Blue Danube Sausage House
Address: 3090 Lenworth Drive, Mississauga ON 
Website: http://www.bdsh.ca
Style: Hungarian
Price: $$ 

I heartily thank Sylvrgirl for suggesting this place to me! :) Not to appear overly eager, I actually go to Toronto via Kipling station on Saturdays and deciding to go to the later movie time yesterday, there was time to visit this place and *gasps* right when I was thinking I really needed to go somewhere new! I love how that happens (though I do have plenty of suggestions to follow through with, I haven't forgotten)... ^-^

Anyways, don't let the Blue Danube deceive you: this tiny (made all the tinier by the hordes of people rushing into this place so that there's nowhere to stand) Hungarian deli in the Kipling-Islington meat market neighbourhood isn't just a seller of sausages, cold cuts and meat. They seem to be the Hungarian bakery I've been waiting for! In one corner of this small shop, these guys have a case of all home-baked goodies, ranging from the quintessential Dobos cake to squares of simpler slab cakes (cheesecakes, fruit cakes, chocolate and cream), what looked like individual strudels, and (half- or full-length) poppy seed rolls! Quite honestly, I have no idea why I didn't take one, but I was trying to stay on budget and thought it would be better to get a few different things. Next time, however, there is a poppy seed roll with my name on it. ;D
Nonetheless, I picked three items this time around: as there is a self-professed Dobos expert in the house (i.e. one brother), I thought it inevitable to take this one (all items $2.50/each), a fairly generous tower of chocolate cream and moist cake with a thick caramel layer on top. The verdict? Really good. Being asked if it was better than the Russian or Romanian take: one of the best there is.
Next up was the sour cherry cake which was more of the home-made variety (and this the opposite of a bad thing), complete with fork marks in the dough. I must say it wasn't as sour as I expected. It had a great tartness and sweetness as well, with a filling stuffed with whole cherries and a yummy, spongy dough that has this nice crunch when you break into it. Mmmmm...
And on top of that was the equally delicious apple cake with what seemed like two layers of apples, one more of a puree with a layer of shredded apples coated in cinnamon on top of that. That perfect spongy dough, possibly slightly spiced, was back again, this time with a bit of vanilla sugar on top. So yummy~~

Final remarks:  I can't wait to return. It was so good... and I need to try that poppy seed roll now! However, even pending the poppy seed, this place is definitely worth running to (as pathetic as it makes me seem ^^;;;)!
[NEW!  Ahhh! Braving the crowds yet again, I returned for that poppy seed roll ($5.75/half or $11/whole) and one only needs to take one look to know that it was worth it. If you can make it past the taped up saran wrap, that is. ;P Deliciously copious amounts of poppy seed dotted with yellow raisins practically oozing out from between the layers of soft, though dense dough and then sprinkled on top with more un-ground poppy seeds. It looked homemade and it was GOOD! Mm, just looking at the picture makes me drool. *-*

Rating: ***1/2 

4 comments:

  1. OMG, you made it and what a great review!!! I was hoping you would find and enjoy this little hidden gem!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed, and thank *you* for suggesting it to me. Like you said: what a hidden gem... in a convenient location! ;) (I was actually trying to go back for the poppyseed roll this week and it was already closed, so next time... -.-)

      Delete
  2. Hello Mimi! Thanks For visiting our shop! This was actually a few years ago I see. Since then we have relocated if anyone is interested. We still make everything by hand, with the highest quality ingredients, FYI :)
    Our new contact information is:
    Blue Danube Sausage House Ltd.
    3090 Lenworth Drive
    Mississauga Ontario
    L4X 2G1
    905-624-9910
    www.bdsh.ca

    Thanks and I hope to see you soon!
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for letting me know and for visiting my little site! I've updated the contact information in this post, along with the location on my Google map so that any interested visitors can find you.

      Delete