St Pio Bakery

Bakery: St Pio Bakery
Address: 2133 Jane St, Toronto ON
Website: http://www.cakeandbake.ca/ 
Style: Italian
Price: $$

[Since my Toronto tour has begun to go beyond the subway line and into the upper regions, I thought I'd introduce a North York section to make it easier to navigate. Erm, not too sure on the official boundaries so let me know if I screwed something up XD I'm thinking of embedding an interactive map with all bakeries I've reviewed.. but I think it'll take some time ^^;;;]

Stop #2 on Saturday's tour. Actually, nothing really ended up being stellar (I'm in a bad luck rut) this time around and, without a doubt, Ma Maison reigned supreme by a long shot. St Pio is one of the few bakeries that I've stepped into and I had absolutely no idea what to take to try. No idea. As with many Italian bakeries, the reason is that they're a bread-first sort of place (as well as wedding cakes). This one, in particular, has many delicious-looking breads and buns at good prices and we walked away with two bags of the latter. Their sweets aren't so exciting. As for baked goods, they had croissants and the most alluring thing there was an apple strudel ($8.99) which I would have taken, but didn't necessarily want to feed the whole family. ;D They had cannoli, naturally, in a variety of fillings. Maybe I should have taken one, just for the sake of trying something, but I've never been fond of them (sorry .___.;;) and wasn't in the mood. I think the cannoli was as Italian as it got. Besides this, they had a few cake slices, but which didn't look so great. As the mom says, they looked like the "back of the cream cheese box recipe" kind. I passed. :/ They had a sign that they carried homemade Jamaican rum cake, which I would have *really* liked to try, though I have no idea where it might have been if they had it.

At the cash, she turned around and said, I'll just take you that (pointing to the iced taralli - $1.90) and she did. I'm not sure why, but there it was on the plate, not looking so great and no one quite knowing what to do with it (Wikipedia informs me they're dunked in wine -- we did it in coffee and hot chocolate, oops! :P) I wasn't too happy, at any rate, having ended up with just that, but really, nothing looked... good! :(


So, we cracked the thing into pieces and everyone got a-dunking. The taste is that of ladyfingers, namely Milano-brand with that hint of lemon. Unlike biscotti, which serve a similar purpose, these just didn't.. want to get soft or absorb any of the liquid. The only thing that was really affected was the icing, which just melted into your drink. Is that supposed to happen? O.o

Nevertheless, I can't say the trip to St Pio was a memorable one, at least not for the baked goods. Sorry, guys, maybe next time I'll be more in the mood to try something (or someone has something good to suggest?). :(

Rating: *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment