Glory Hole Doughnuts

Bakery: Glory Hole Doughnuts
Address: 1596 Queen St W, Toronto ON 
Website: http://www.gloryholedoughnuts.com/
Style: Uh, doughnuts ;P 
Price: $$$$

Going for lunch (always Tibetan *-*) before walking/shopping along Roncesvalles, I noticed this place a few times before (they haven't been here all that long) though never popped in... until yesterday, that is. ;) As the name suggests, Glory Hole Doughnuts sells... doughnuts. Doughnuts and coffee and nothing else, so I guess it's understood that these guys *better* make good doughnuts. And they do! (I'm trying to improve my intros here XD)

This pretty tiny place with its retro decor and seating for three, four people actually doesn't have that much in terms of selection; considering the small display area, I assume they rotate their flavours since they seem to only be able four-five at a time (when I was there, there was PB&J, chocolate hazelnut, the one I took, and the (semi-famous) bacon one as well as a rummy cinnamon twist. In addition to this, they have smaller doughnuts in three-four flavours as well and... something else which was sold out (someone came after me and was asking about it and they said they were out). I say semi-famous, because they were featured in the newspaper for their raspberry jam and bacon doughnut (this is how I'd actually found out about them besides walking by it on the street) which... looks as nasty as it sounds and (sorry) won't be featured on the Cake Tour. x___x

Nonetheless, I settled for the doughnut with blood orange glaze, lemon cream, and sesame seeds. ($3.50) That was the description and it actually ended up being a lot better than I expected, mainly because in my head, I was picturing cutting into this thing and having this lemony yellow pudding ooze out -- the lemon cream of the label consisted of strips of an intense jam-cream which were used to stick on the sesame seeds. So, no oozing pudding! :) Cutting this into pieces for everyone to try, the first thing that you notice is the absolutely delicious smell of citrus fruits and the super moist, airy dough whose closest resemblance is, if I remember correctly (it's been yeeeeears since I had one) Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The dough is amazing and then the glaze/cream was both sweet and sour and super flavourful. I don't like sesame seeds all that much, so I was glad I couldn't taste them all that much. The brother said that poppy seeds (as in, orange poppy seed cake/muffins) would have matched better... and damn it, I should have been the one to say that! :P It's nothing fancy or elaborate, but for a doughnut, I don't think you can beat these guys!

One minus, however, is the price. At $3.50 each (or Timbit-sized minis for $2.25 ; the rummy cinnamon twist was $4.50) and almost $4.00 with tax, these doughnuts are *expensive* and I believe, as good as they are, they're certainly not worth that much, even if they are larger than your standard doughnut. I personally think $2.50 (that is, twice the price of a regular doughnut) would be a reasonable price. When you think about what you can get elsewhere at good bakeries in the GTA *inserts figurative thought bubble*...
1.5 Swedish cinnamon buns vs. a doughnut (Victory: cinnamon buns)
1 Gateau Basque vs. a doughnut (Victory: Gateau Basque)
1.5 poppy seed buns vs. a doughnut (Victory: poppy seed buns)
3.5 oponki (the best from the late Granowskas) vs. a doughnut (Victory: oponki) 

*pop the bubble* Okay, so you get the point, I hope. ;D At any rate, I think it's a little ridiculous when you think about how a half dozen will set you back $24. O_O Or it's simply that in my head I still can't get past the idea that the doughnut is pretty much the fast food equivalent of baked goods and should be treated as such??? Don't know. Still, one won't break the bank... and mine at any rate was really good. The tummy left satisfied. ;D

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment