Bamboo Bubble Tea [RIP]

Bakery: Bamboo Bubble Tea 
Address: 1100 Burnhamthorpe Rd E, Mississauga ON
Website: n/a 
Style: Vietnamese 
Price: $

Okay, this isn't exactly a bakery, by a long shot, but the last time my mom went there to pick up some banh mi (Vietamese subs) for the youngest brother, she also came back with two pieces of home-baked cake, which this little take-out place that sells mostly bubble tea, subs and a few Vietnamese dishes makes! Yes, I did get pretty excited, since I have yet to find a place selling Vietnamese baked anything...

Unlike Chinese bakeries, which pretty much sell an assortment of buns stuffed with different fillings/toppings, these two treats were actually both entirely unique of each other and you could call them  cakes. The first was a cassava cake ($2/slice or $12/whole tin) which might have fooled anyone into thinking it's Portuguese. It had somewhat the texture of custard, just a lot more stiff and doughy and smelled/tasted of coconut.. and just the appearance made me think of this right away, though I couldn't say why. The owner recommended heating both, and warmed up, this became more soft and fragrant; weird thing is, you wouldn't say it was cassava, or any kind of tuber for that matter. O.O It was pretty tasty; the second was better, but this one was good too.

For the second slice, we ended up with a honeycomb cake ($2/slice or $8/whole), a super moist and airy green spongecake with this flaky shell (unless that's just browned green dough ^^) around it. According to the name, it has these intricately shaped bubbles running through the dough which, especially when heated, gives it this dense, near-chewiness. This was so good! I think this is supposed to be green tea... not sure Thanks to a visitor, I learned that this is pandan (an Oriental equivalent of vanilla) flavoured (thank you!!! ^-^v), but it was yummy nonetheless. I really can't say I expected much, both coming from a bubble tea place, but man, what an enjoyable surprise! :)

Rating: ***

2 comments:

  1. The second cake there should be Pandan flavoured and not green tea. It's like the vanilla of Asia. It's a pretty fragrant leaf that's used a lot in South Asian baking.

    I wanted to let you know that I think it's quite cool you're looking at a huge variety of cultures for your baked goods. For Chinese bakeries, I wanted to let you know that the bun stuff and the almond cookies are not the good stuff. If you want a better perspective of how good the bakery is, you need to try their Portuguese custard tart. It's a hallmark of a good Cantonese bakery. Also, moon cakes are another key item to grade a Chinese bakery on. Moon cakes only happen during the festival season though.

    Mochi inspired baked goods are other items to try at Chinese bakeries. Banana roll (if you like banana and mochi), sesame seed balls (also known as Jin Duei), Cantonese mochi, and 'wife cake'.

    Oh before I forget, Adonis just opened up at Eglinton and Creditview. They have amaaaazing bakery for Middle Eastern goods. Tons of fresh baklava at $22/kg (much cheaper than any other option) and freshly made basboosa and other deep fried pastry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and for visiting my little site! I'll have to change that in my post; I remember T&T used to have this green sponge cake (that tasted similar to this, but didn't have nowhere near the same texture and was kind of.. nuclear-looking) and they called it "green tea", so I thought this might be the same thing.

      I do agree with you on the buns and cookies, which is why I find it so hard to find great Chinese bakeries; it's just for me, at any rate, I have a hard time figuring out what's meant as a dessert and what isn't (recalling too many times of getting some sort of bean thing and it's savoury), but next time, I'll try the tarts. At least, I'll try and make you proud of my future Chinese bakery posts! ;)

      And I did *not* know that. Last time I was driving along Eglinton (which was last Wednesday), they were still not open, so I thought it might be awhile. Look for the review *very* shortly. O___O

      Thanks again!!

      Delete