Grillska Husets Brödbod [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Grillska Husets Brödbod
Address: Stortorget 3, Stockholm
Website: http://www.stadsmissionen.se/Matochkonferens/Bageri--Konditori
Style: Swedish 
Price: $$

My first bakery in Stockholm. I didn't see the tidal wave of bakeries and pastry shops I was expecting or imagining in my fanciful head, but I came across a few great places nonetheless. And a few not so great places, but fortunately, Grillska Huset belongs to the former group. Actually, I think this place had to be my favourite stop in the Swedish capital; it was beyond good. *-*

As a formal intro: Grillska Huset is the Stockholm city mission's chain of bakeries and cafes -- the mission also has a lovely store in Gamla Stan of secondhand collectibles/Swedish design. The products (we're back to talking about the food) are classic and simple, with only the best ingredients. I have to admit that the minimalist interior and unadorned goodies didn't excite me so much at first glance, but only one bite was needed to change my mind on that. ;)

This was also the only bakery I encountered with a wider selection of (buns) baked goods, as opposed to the standard cinnamon and cardamom buns which are available *everywhere*. I can't quite remember the name of the one I took (with the exception of the -bulle suffix -____-), but all I know is that it didn't look too unique or exciting on the outside, so I was really risking it. Actually, I think I picked this one in particular (20kr), because the most were gone. And with good reason. All I can is: I may not know what it's called, but I *do* know this is an ingenious idea. Delicious, soft bread-like dough with a little sprinkle of rock sugar on top; this is then stuffed with the most scrumptious concoction, a mass of butter (yes, these guys were one of two places that actually used real butter -_-) and sugar, some vanilla perhaps... not sure what else -- I was too busy wolfing this delicacy down to analyze it in detail -- but wow, my mouth is watering thinking about it! So simple and so incredibly good!

This is the only bakery on my Cake Tour in Stockholm that I would return to (sad, but true), and that would be in a heartbeat at that! :D

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment