Au Kouign-Amann [International Correspondent]

Bakery: Pâtisserie Au Kouign-Amann
Address: 322 Avenue du Mont-Royal E, Montreal QC
Website: n/a
Style: French
Price: $$ 

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about what bakeries I would give a five-star rating and realized that not a lot of what I've tried has that 'wow factor'. The Danish Pastry House definitely has wow factor, and so does that French bakery with those doughnuts [editor's note: he's talking about Le Thobors and I will second that ^.^] In Montreal, there's Wawel -- that was really great too, though I haven't had in so long that I kind of forget it and I think that's really it. I haven't really travelled around and tried something else, but I can't say anything ever stands out for me here. But Kouign-Amann definitely has wow factor. Because it's more fresh in my mind than some sort of the other bakeries, this is even one of the first places I think of. Every time I think back to it, I can't believe how good it was.

I went with my brother and I can't believe that he actually didn't think of taking the thing the place is named after. That's the Kouign-Amann ($1.95). It's like this big layered pie of flaky dough just dripping in butter and you order it by slices.

I don't remember what else they have, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot of variety. I really don't know what else they had now, because all I bought was the Kouign-Amann. And next time, I'd probably come back for it again. This deserves a perfect rating and is one of the best baked goods I've eaten.

[EDIT] I only had to add (this being Mimi) that I agree wholeheartedly with everything written here and couldn't have written it differently myself. Au Kouign Amann is one of THE best bakeries I've gone to and is now a must-visit every time I'm in Montreal and every time I get it, this delectable butter and sugar pie blows my mind. I simply cannot believe how good this thing is. Always the same, always fresh. This is absolutely heavenly. There is a reason why these guys are constantly baking these throughout the day: they sell out fast and I know why! 

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment