Krepesz Cafe

Bakery: Krepesz Cafe
Address: 253 Augusta Ave, Toronto ON
Website: http://www.krepesz.com/
Style: Hungarian 
Price: $$-$$$

Well, this isn't really a bakery, but as I had tried Polish crepes awhile back, I thought it was only right to try the Hungarian version. ... Though I didn't really do that this time around -- I was full from a trip down Baldwin Village (that's what it's called?) for some yummy Japanese food ^.^ -- but as I was in Kensington Market and thought I'd delayed it enough, I went in for one of their signature offerings (i.e. excluding crepes, of which the chicken stew (paprikas) seems to be the most famous, although they have a few unique, traditional sweet varieties of palacsinta): chimney cake! This is the only place I've heard of that does have it, so there you go. ;)

Chimney cake is pretty much a white sponge cake that is rolled around a wooden spit and baked over an open fire. The dough is slightly flavoured with orange and is rolled in granulated sugar; they're sold by piece ($3.10/each or around $5 with your choice of coffee) Getting it as a hollow roll of dough makes it look not that interesting and it's pretty hard to believe just by its appearance that it's so tasty! I mean, there's nothing really to it, just the dough and sugar, but the hint of orange is pretty nice and then there's that undeniable taste of smoke and wood. Or, well, not sure if that in particular, but you have that totally unique sensation and not only that, it's very good! There's that baked-in, ever so slight crust on the outside and then on the inside it's soft and moist. I really liked it!

The prices are not that cheap, but the chimney cake was delicious and it really makes me want to try the crepes as well -- not sure how I can pass up a trip to Baldwin, but we'll see. ;D

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment