Rustic Bakery

Bakery: Rustic Bakery
Address: 318 Rustic Rd, Toronto ON
Website: http://therusticbakery.ca/
Style: Italian
Price: $-$$

This has to be one of the most obscure plazas I've come across. Nestled among a street of houses on the corner of Culford and Rustic Rd (yes, I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't have a clue where that was) and across the street from a school, an Italian bakery seems strangely out of place, even more so an authentic Italian bakery with plenty of tasty choices in terms of baked goods, despite being at once a deli, espresso joint and bakery all in one. Was there the usual hot table as well? I don't remember. All I do remember was a very tasty assortment of Italian pastries which even I, not being the biggest fan of, succumbed to, as well as a few items that I have yet to see elsewhere. The standard pastries (i.e. cannoli) come in several varieties and, curiously enough, so did my personal favourite: zeppole! :) Actually, the last time the brother brought back some Italian pastries for all, he got offended that I (very quickly and without the slightest hesitation) nabbed the single zeppola for myself, so this time I went all out and just got one for everyone! And right I was -- zeppole are the best....

And these zeppole, in particular, were exceptionally good. Unfortunately, the Golden Zeppola Challenge of last year was awhile ago, so it might be hard to determine if it would make to the very top, but this is certainly a medal-winner. At Rustic, there are four variants of zeppole ($3/each): either ricotta or cream, baked or fried. The fried (rear) are slightly smaller, but they were particularly stunning (the lady at the counter was telling me [purely in Italian... I guess my minor came in handy after all O.o] how the baked are better for you... and proceeded to give more fried than baked ;)) Mmmm... so good! Delicious dough, slightly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with plenty of cream filling (which she also informed me were better) and, unlike many bakeries, with the perfect amount of cherry syrup mixed in with that cream filling. Definitely recommended!

I also took a piece of this thing which I had never before seen ($1.50/each): this cookie-like cake with a hard, shortbread-y crust and stuffed with a chewy filling made of fig paste and chunks of pistachios and candied figs (is that what it was?) The larger version, a ring cake with whole slices of candied orange on top, looks even more interesting. I think the reason it drew my attention was that it resembled Maltese pastries, which -- one must note -- I love. Taste-wise, it didn't disappoint, though the chunks of candied fruit tend to get stuck to your teeth. XD It reminded me of trizzi... strizzi? Maybe this is the Italian equivalent? Nonetheless, this was also a tasty discovery and especially for those who aren't necessarily fans of cream- or cheese-filled Italian pastries.

This place came as a very pleasant surprise. Some manoeuvring is needed if you don't live in the neighbourhood, but it's worth it. And if you are in the neighbourhood, then lucky you. ;D

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment