Nesbrauð [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Nesbrauð
Address: Nesvegur 1, Stykkishólmur
Website: n/a
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$$-$$$$ 

Continuing my tour of West Iceland, I spent two nights in the small town of Stykkishólmur, and as with most Icelandic towns of a certain size, I suppose, there was a bakery. And so, I have another lovely stop on the eastern tip of the Snæfellsnes peninsula. Had I been able to, I would have got the bakery in Olafsvik I passed, but alas, you can't just tell day tours to pull over, not to mention the fact it was closed that day. :( Oh well.

Nevertheless, Nesbrauð is a bakery/cafe, with not that many sweets; the single case gives it the feeling more of a cafe than a bakery. It's quite small, laid-back (it took a few minutes for someone to show up at the counter), and not possessing the same traffic, both local and tourists, that other bakeries I visited this year had. As with most bakeries, they had a few (though not very many) danish-dough variations and squares, but seemed to focus more on lunchtime (sandwiches, etc.) This was one of three bakeries I saw those aforementioned "love balls", and although I longed to try a third one, I was quite surprised at not only their steep price (at ~300kr, they're more than double the price of the ones I tried elsewhere!), but at the prices of everything else. Without a doubt, this is the most expensive bakery I've encountered in the country and I'm at a loss to explain it: the bakery is more no-frills than usual, the goods are nothing exquisite, and it's not the remotest of locations either. It boggles the mind. 
Still, one can never pass up these bakeries in interesting locations and so, I settled on the cinnamon bun (a whopping 355kr!) It is, after all, quite seldom that you encounter these traditionally Danish cinnamon buns versus the prevalent yeast-dough cinnamon snails.The dough here was a nice flaky one with that crunch on the outside and softness on the inside -- fresh too -- with a tasty cinnamon mass and just a little icing: not too much, not too little. In fact, this is one of the better executed Danish-dough creations I encountered this time around. As it was nothing too fancy and didn't beat the intricacy of those danish slices I had elsewhere, I'm not sure it's necessarily worth it, but it was  nonetheless pretty tasty. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment