World Class Bakers [RIP]

Bakery: World Class Bakers
Address: 690 St Clair Ave W, Toronto ON
Website: n/a
Style: North American
Price: $$

After weeks of Saturday involving either snow storms or extreme cold weather, I was finally able to profit from warmer temperature (single digit minuses, of course) and go on a Cake Tour! Wow, it feels like it's been awhile, although really it hasn't been *that* long. However, I can't recall the last time I did three at once. Nice. :)

Anyways, I'd once gone to St Clair W on a cold and rainy day, but more towards Corso Italia proper, and with soaking shoes and freezing fingers managed only one bakery. Given that I had to pass up three bakeries and didn't even walk that far means that a return trip to the area will be necessary, not to mention that the goodies I did buy this time around were all very tasty on top of that. It looks like I've hit yet another bakery goldmine! ^^ Perhaps it's not as condensed as, say, Runnymede (Bloor West Village), but the treats are, if not just as good, even tastier!

The second stop (first stop is still pending eating XD) is World Class Bakers, a lovely bakery that, if you're coming from the west, lures you in with their table of breads along the window. At least that was enough to get me inside. A spacious, old-world-feeling bakery, WC doesn't really that much given its size; right when you enter, there are two cases of baked goods and past the cash towards the other end another case of more elaborate cakes, both large and individual sized. Style-wise, it's hard to peg them down to anything particular. It's a hodgepodge of Canadian classics (butter tarts, cookies) and pan-European goodies ranging from spanakopita to rugulleh to croissants. Prices and descriptions are given on a sheet of paper on top of the counter.

Because they looked so darn good (and since they might just be my favourite classic Canadian square), I took a date square ($2.75). So they actually have two versions: one the regular and the other baked with whole wheat flour and sweetened only with honey. The question took me a bit by surprise (ha ha I just wanted *those* date squares) and I ordered a regular without really thinking about it and then kind of regretted it. Actually, I was thinking 'oh great, it'll be one of those sickly sweet date squares', but it wasn't. I'd still like to try both, but this was amazing and not too sweet at all! Fantastic date filling and I loved the dough; most date squares have very little dough and have more of an oatmeal topping than anything else, giving it a granola feel, but this was so good. The dough was dense and was perfect for a hearty filling like dates. Mmmm... one of the best date squares I've had! *-*

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment