Celena's Bakery

Bakery: Celena's Bakery
Address: 2036 Danforth Avenue, Toronto ON
Website: http://www.celenasbakery.com/
Style: British, Canadian
Price: $-$$ 

Well, it didn't take me very long to return to Viking Bakery (^^) and given that it wasn't freezing and icy like it was last time, I thought I'd explore the street a little more this time and lo and behold! I came upon a second bakery! I love when that happens. :) Anyways, Celena's is about two blocks away and has quite a bit of breads and baked goods housed behind the glass, from baked-from-scratch pies to muffins and a couple varieties of squares. Expect classic Canadian bakery fare (well, judging by the giant Britain flag behind the menu, perhaps that's only partly correct?) with a few interesting additions like the apple cinnamon doughnut muffin, which was, among other things, calling my name as well. Yes, doughnut muffin. One item. :P

Instead, I went for their date squares ($2.49, no tax), which looked quite tasty. A large slab of chewy dough on the bottom, date paste with chunks of fruit in the middle and a delicious, equally chewy granola on top with large pieces of crumble. Mmm... this is one reason why I'm so fond of date squares! The proportions were just right: not too sweet and not too much date to make it overpowering. The texture of the dough was perfect and I'd certainly pop in again the next time I'm in the neighbourhood!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment