North Shore Pie Co. [RIP]

Bakery: North Shore Pie Co.
Address: 43 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto ON
Website: http://northshorepies.com
Style: New Zealand
Price: $$ 

[EDIT: So Wisey's quickly changed names or hands and became North Shore Pie Co? At any rate, it's the exactly same locale, with the exact same goodies available for purchase. I'm a little confused, but here it is...]

I'm back after a slight delay. I've been feeling a little uninspired lately and dreaming of something somewhat grander (ha ha the Great Canadian Cake Tour does need expanding; perhaps a cross-country tour would do it? ;D), but I can't seem to stay away for too long. Not only that, but I have something exciting for today! ^-^

I'm in the Roncesvalles area about once a month so I pretty much know the street and all that's going on as if I actually lived somewhere nearby. For instance, there's a cake place opening up on Queen. It's not open yet, but peeking through the window, it looks gorgeous! On the lookout for that one, I didn't expect to turn the corner and encounter not only a brand new bakeshop, but one with New Zealand-style (writing this post made me realize that there is no adjective version.... fascinating) pies and baked goods. New Zealand!?! My jaw must have dropped to the sidewalk -- you know how much I love discovering baked goods from different and lesser known countries and New Zealand is like... the southern hemisphere's equivalent of Iceland and *that* is thrilling! :)

At first glance, it seems to be a meat pie place and little else. Poking your head into the door, you're greeted by rows of golden pies occasionally topped with mashed potatoes. Their varieties are listed on a sheet next to the cash and there are quite a bit of them -- I believe they also have some sweet pies as well, but clearly, the meat is where it's at; however, off to the side of the small establishment, there's a couple unique sweet treats. Names and prices are scribbled clearly on the glass, although for kiwi-newbies such as myself, it doesn't help all that much. ;) When I was there, there were a couple cookies, and three or four squares, including Afghan Cakes (resembling carrot cakes... I think :P) and Lamingtons (available in raspberry or chocolate), the latter of which I had to take.

So the Lamington ($2.90) it was. The sign read "raspberry/ chocolate", so I assumed it was chocolate on the inside; I only realized afterwards that there were actually two varieties: one wrapped in a raspberry coating and the other in the more traditional chocolate. These are more or less little sponge cakes fully coated (on all four sides) in a raspberry coating and then smothered in shredded coconut. Simple, but remarkably tasty. Great texture and especially for those who are fans of coconut. I, for one, came out satisfied. ^^;

Wisey's is such a convenient treat for me and it's one of these things that you'll have trouble finding anywhere else; add to that Down Under friendly service and that assortment of pies and you can count on me returning.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment