Gott [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Gott 
Address: Bárustígur 11, Vestmannaeyjar 
Website: http://www.gott.is/
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

If there ever was an appropriate name for a place, it's Gott (Icelandic for "good"). A little cheesy, perhaps, but Icelanders are good at cheesy. ;) And Gott is good at cakes. Really good. These guys are in fact a restaurant and the reason we went here in the first place was because we didn't know where else to go and someone on the street said this place was "good" (I really need to stop...). Finding half of the people on the bus and ferry here, we figured it was the best place to try. Now, being both financially challenged and somewhat... cheap, I'm not one for taking dessert. Yes, their booklet of four or five homemade cakes looked amazing, but I wasn't sure if I was willing to splurge. My friend, in the end, ordered for me and the decision was made. -__- 
 But! I was very happy it was. :P This is the only perfect rating from this particular Iceland trip and I give it very readily. Gott may have good food, but the cakes are where your mouth starts watering and you just dream of eating this again. I knew the second I spotted the date cake (1100kr, if I remember correctly), it was mine. Served warm with homemade caramel sauce and homemade ice cream (yes), this was heavenly. I'll say outright that I am in love with date cakes (caramel only makes it better), but this just blew my mind. The moist date cake, that caramel, that ice cream... *-* OMG!
My friend took the snickers raw cake (same or similarly priced) and while this looked slightly different from the raspberry topped photo -- and I think both of us admit to being a little disappointed when it didn't come looking the same -- the taste was excellent. I actually hadn't had raw cakes prior to this year's trip to Iceland, where I had a few of varying quality and made my own, of horrible quality XD, and this one was excellent: rich and creamy in such a way that you wouldn't believe there was no dairy in that nutty cream. Delicious crunchy, nutty bottom and chocolate coating. Perhaps not the same calibre as the date cake (both agreed), but a "good" (stop it, Mimi) indication that these guys know cake. 

In the end, "good" is an understatement if there ever was one. A highlight of this and of all Iceland trips! 

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment