Pâtisserie Notre Maison

Bakery: Pâtisserie Notre Maison
Address: 4101 boulevard Saint-Laurent, Montreal QC
Website: http://patisserienotremaison.com/
Style: Portuguese 
Price:

Notre Maison, in Montreal's bakery neighbourhood (I am so not kidding you), is the Portuguese bakery in the area. While there are countless more (see future reviews) within walking distance of each other, this is certainly the busiest and most well-stocked of the bunch. I had to wait in a long line to get my goodies! Their selection contains Portuguese bakery staples: custard tarts, coconut buns, sweet buns and breads, doughnuts and cakes. Following the general rule: very little was labelled and priced, and you kind of have to just revert to pointing or yelling over people's heads: 'I want that one over there... no, not that one, next to that!'

As always, I was drawn towards the Portuguese doughnut (Malassadas)... those giant masses of fried dough with cinnamon sugar are so darn good, but I told myself no; they simply wouldn't do as a breakfast item, no matter how I looked at it! .___.
So I went with my second favourite: the coconut bun ($1.75). Large piece of flat dough filled with coconut and covered in powdered sugar. Some places have a bland dough that's too dense, but this fluffy and flavourful, with just the right amount of coconut folded inside and a tasty, slightly flaky exterior with powdered sugar and that amazing somewhat-crumble on top. Yum!

This has to be the first time I've done Portuguese bakeries in Montreal, isn't it? I think so... either way, I did three this time around and Notre Maison was, without a doubt, the best. The crowds say it all.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment