Jói Fel [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Jói Fel
Address: Holtavegur 10 (in Holtagarðar), Reykjaví
Website: http://www.joifel.is/
Style: Icelandic
Price: $$$

One of the last bakeries within Reykjavik that still needed to be covered by me, Jói Fel is a bakery chain with a few locations mostly on the outskirts of Reykjavik -- their branch in Kringlan mall is probably their most "central" location, so for someone staying in the city centre (for once, ha ha!), it was a bit of a hassle to get there... then again, I walked to Holtagarðar, a shopping centre on the edge of town, which perhaps wasn't the wisest decision. 

Nonetheless, with their artisanal breads and baked goods, classier stores, and black and white photography, Jói Fel seems to be Sandholt's only competitor in terms of "chic" bakeries in the capital, but while Sandholt is a little crammed with its small storefront along Laugavegur (there was literally a line up out the door when I walked by), these guys seem to overwhelm with the absolute vastness of their sit-down bakeries, from their restaurant-calibre seating area to their large counter. On a weekday at around lunchtime, I can't say their assortment of comfy couches and large tables was being put to much use and only a corner of this large counter was actually dedicated to baked goods (though they had a lovely assortment of cakes at the very end), but there was nevertheless a sophistication that doesn't exist in the homier bakeries. Of course, sophistication comes with a price tag. This place does not look cheap and, I must say, it was a little daunting at first, especially considering that Sandholt -- one thing which I don't like about them -- has nothing priced, but upon closer examination, I found everything labelled. Expect to pay slightly more than other bakeries (50-75kr for single items), but I was relieved to find it was nothing too outlandish -- at any rate, that place in Stykkisholmur was still the most expensive. 

I went away with a danish (I should really remember what the Icelandic equivalent of "spandauer" is, but I'm almost certain, everything -- regardless of its shape -- is known simply as "vinarbrauð" Feel free to contradict me), rather the round danish (325kr). Without a doubt, these guys had the most "Danish" of danishes I've seen in Iceland, with a very simply adorned circle of flaky dough lacking the typically Icelandic pink icing option (^^). There was the custard and marzipan filling, the delicate drizzle of chocolate and vanilla, and definitely the more browned appearance. What about the taste? Based on its look, I think I was expecting it to knock my socks off a lot more than it actually did. I would have liked it a bit more buttery, slightly flakier on the outside, so you have that wonderful crunch and softness in the middle, but other than that, it was very good. The Vienna bread did not disappoint, that's for sure! ;) 

Perhaps it's not worth going out of your way for it, but if you do happen to spot one of their locations, pop in for some flaky creations and you'll find you won't regret it. Of course, seldom does that happen, but I digress... :P 

Rating: *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment