Les anges gourmets

Bakery: Les anges gourmets
Address: 4247 Boul St-Laurent, Montréal QC
Website: n/a 
Style: Portuguese, European 
Price: $$  

Continuing on the quest to map every bakery in the Plateau (and this is a bigger undertaking than it seems), I stopped by Les anges gourmets, yet another Portuguese bakery in the neighbourhood. Located a few doors down from Notre Maison, I would say that Les anges tries to appear less overtly Portuguese and thus looking more like an everyday cafe/bakery (I'll admit I didn't think it was Portuguese until examining the goodies), with the inclusion of fancier, universally European cakes and pastries along with savoury quiches, breads -- and of course, there they were: custard tarts, coconut buns, and all the usual culprits. There were quite a few baked goods; however, unlike a few of the cakes, there were not labels or prices; the aforementioned bakery proved cheaper. 
Nonetheless, because I hadn't seen this one in very many bakeries, I went for the piece of fried bread ($2.00). Similar to a rum baba, this should be soaking in brandy or some sort of alcohol, but it never is. Instead, it's perhaps a cross between French toast and a doughnut; in this case, it was fried and coated with cinnamon sugar, but the bread itself was not soaked in much of anything, resulting in a drier dough that, beyond the delicious cinnamon edge, ended up being rather flavourless. A fan of this with or without the alcohol, I was a little disappointed. Good, but I've had better.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment