Cartem's Donuterie

Bakery: Cartem's Donuterie
Address: 534 West Pender St, Vancouver BC
Website: http://www.cartems.com/
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$ 

Cartem's is without a doubt Vancouver's gourmet doughnut destination, with a few locations throughout the city. I went to their downtown store to take a break from the pouring rain and to get my doughnut fix; after all, I was still reeling from the doughnut I had had in Tofino a few days earlier. *-* And the name is definitely an accurate one: Cartem's sells doughnuts and nothing but (except for coffee and drinks to go along with them). With regular flavours like vanilla, apple fritter, and chocolate along with monthly specials -- there's almost too much selection!
 The doughnuts come in three categories and three price points: doughnut rings, stuffed doughnuts, and apple fritters. The rings were $3.25, taxes included, and the cheapest of the three. I don't remember the others. I myself was stuck between the apple fritter and mulled wine, but seeing as it was the first of the month and the latter was a December special - I went for it. ^^ Look at this lovely little doughnut with a delicious spiced wine glaze with plenty of coverage and three little "berries" (in candy form) on top. Simple, elegant, and tasty. :) In some ways I was a little disappointed that the flavour variation was limited to the glaze and the doughnut underneath was a regular vanilla cake doughnut; I believe it to be the case with all doughnuts with the exception of those stuffed with cream. I mean, how amazing would it have been for the already delicious vanilla doughnut to have a bit of spice in it similar to the glaze. Team that up with that amazing wine glaze... that would have been heavenly! It would have blown my mind... but either way, a great place for doughnuts. ;)

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment